Vancouver French Cuisine
WHO: Abby and Ruby
WHEN: Summer evening- dinner time
WHERE: Southern France on a sunny patio with waterfront views. Well...no...it sure felt like it but in reality we dined on the patio of a French seafood restaurant and bar called Provence Marinaside located in the heart of Yaletown, in beautiful Vancouver.
WHY? 1. We love seafood
2. The location!!! We love walking and the restaurant is steps from the False Creek seawall. "The False Creek Seawall is a world-class walking and cycling path connecting English Bay with Science World, Granville Island and Kitsilano Beach" Also the restaurant is easy to get to by Canada Line.
3. We love people watching
4. This restaurant is described online as a "staple in the Vancouver dining scene and a tourist must visit" and the reviews on multiple sites were generally excellent.
5. Curious what food inspired by Southern France and The Canadian West Coast tastes like.
WHAT? 1. Super comfy seating and excellent unobstructed view of the marina
2. Waitress was attentive and friendly
3. This restaurant has an extensive wine by the glass program- including over 40 wines on tap. We had both never tried wine on tap and were pleasantly surprised! -- "the first glass poured is as fresh as the last"
4, Ordered the crabs and shrimp cakes which were savoury and delicious, however, the roasted "Mediterranean Fish" was somewhat of a disappointment. The portion was decent to share and the actual meat of the "Mediterranean Fish" ( our waitress stated she did not know the name but it was brought in from the Mediterranean) was quite tasty, but the overall dish perhaps needed a little more of something? (Herbs? Salt? Lemon? Olive oil? Crispier skin?...)
Overall, our experience was very good and we are looking forward to returning. They recently renovated in 2015 and the inside looks bright, spacious, modern and classy. We would like to experience dining inside and try their weekend brunch and daily tappy hour from 3-5pm (I have heard from friends that its a happening place during this time and their grilled squid is excellent.) Also, there is live jazz every Wednesday 6-9pm and July is lobster month! YUM! There are so many other reasons to visit Provence Marinaside...check out their website. Maybe we'll see you there!